Ryan Gesme was awarded a place in the 2016 Leo Baeck Summer University in Jewish Studies at the Humboldt University in Berlin with support from the DAAD, the German Academic Exchange Service.
Thomas Lecaque, a history instructor at SUNY-Orange, recently accepted a position as assistant professor of history at Grand View University in Des Moines, starting fall 2017
Max Matherne was awarded a $1,200 Grant-In-Aid by the National Society of the Colonial Dames in the State of Tennessee. He was awarded a 12-month residential fellowship at the American Philosophical Society in Philadelphia
Brad Phillis won a Heckman Award from the Hill Museum and Manuscript Library.
Will Rall received a short-term doctoral fellowship from the German Historical Institute in 2016, Washington DC.
Josh Sander won a summer travel grant from the Central European History Society for research at Amsterdam’s NIOD Institute for War, Holocaust, and Genocide Studies.
J. Tomlin earned a short-term research fellowship at the Newberry Library.
Lydia Walker is finishing a year in Belgium at the University of Leuven on a Fulbright Fellowship, after which she will spend a few weeks at the American Academy in Rome as the UT Affiliated Fellow
The following students received awards at our annual banquet in April 2017.
- Outstanding Student in Europeanist: Katie Kleinkopf
- William B. Anderson Award (Military): Ryan Gesme
- Lee Verstandig Award: Max Matherne
- Charles O. Jackson Award: Josh Sander and Brad Phillis
- Susan Becker Award for Excellence in Teaching: Josh Hodge
- Public History Award: Max Matherne
- Gender Studies Award: Michael Lynch
- Thomas and Kathryn Shelton Award: J. Tomlin and Josh Sander
- Walkup-Thurman Award: Josh Hodge
- Bruce Wheeler Graduate Research Award: J. Tomlin
- Galen Broker Award: Elizabeth Eubanks and Laura Roesch