Procedures and Admission Requirements
To apply for admission either to the MA or the PhD program in history at UT, go to Graduate Admissions. All materials should be submitted to the Graduate School through the online admissions process; more detailed instructions may be found in the online application form itself.
All application materials are due on or before November 30. Please carefully note the following dates and deadlines:
- Completed applications received on or before November 30 will be considered for admission and funding for the fall semester.
- Completed applications received between December 1 and January 15 will be considered for admission without funding for the fall semester.
PLEASE NOTE: An MA is not a prerequisite for applying for the PhD program. To be considered for funding, applicants should apply for PhD.
The program in history at UT offers three options:
- PhD without previous MA in history: This program is for students preparing for university teaching and research or other careers for which a doctoral degree is desirable.
- PhD with previous MA in history: This program is for students transferring to UTK with a Masters degree in History or its equivalent and preparing for university teaching and research or other careers for which a doctoral degree is desirable.
- MA: This program is for students wanting to learn more about history for professional or career development or to prepare for further advanced study of history.
Required Application Materials:
- Online Graduate School application.
- Accepted payment of the $60, nonrefundable application fee.
- Transcripts for all previously attended colleges and universities.
- Graduate Record Examinations scores.
- Three recommendations are required, and are part of the Graduate School’s online application
- A writing sample (approx. 15 pages).
- A student’s statement of scholarly interest, including the intended field of study and professional goals (1,000 words).
- Current CV.
All materials must be collected/submitted electronically through the Graduate School website.
All decisions about admission to the history department are made by the department. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Notification of admission status is made by the Graduate School, with additional information forthcoming from the history department as applicable.
Additional information about the Graduate Program in History and the University of Tennessee is available at the University’s Graduate School website. For further information about the graduate program, please refer to the Graduate Handbook. Questions about program requirements or the application process may be directed to the departmental secretary for the program at firstname.lastname@example.org, 865-974-0399 or 865-974-5421.