Department of History
915 Volunteer Blvd.
6th Floor Dunford Hall
Knoxville, TN 37996-4065
Students must take two courses from one of the following sequences and receive a grade of C or higher:
- HIST 241-242
- HIST 247-248
- HIST 261-262
- HIST 267-268
Students entering UTK in 2015 must complete 33 credit hours in history courses. Six of those hours must be History 221 and 222 (or their honors equivalents). Remaining credit hours must be taken in upper-division history courses and must include the following:
- HIST 299, the major’s launching pad. A seminar-style course designed to introduce students to cutting-edge research and the styles of inquiry characteristic of historical study (required for all students from who begin at UTK in or after 2015)
- a course in European history
- a course in United States history
- two courses in Latin American, Asian, Middle Eastern, or African history; the two courses must each be drawn from two different geographic areas
- a course focusing on a period prior to 1750
- HIST 499, the capstone course in the major. A seminar in which students conduct original research and bring together the skills they have developed over their course of study in the major
The remaining hours of course work can be drawn from any upper-division (300 or 400 level) courses; at least three of those hours must be at the 400 level.
A complete list of course descriptions can be found in the history section of the Undergraduate Course Catalog.
Not all courses are offered every semester. For more detailed descriptions of the courses offered in the current semester, see: Undergraduate course descriptions.