Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Declaring a Major


To declare a history major officially, you must first

  • Earn a C or higher in ANY TWO of the following history courses: 221, 222, 227, 228, 241, 242, 247, 248, 261, or 262 (a sequence is not necessary, though it is recommended). Please note that Advanced Placement (AP) with a credit score of 4 or 5 is acceptable to fulfill these progression requirements.
  • Complete Major/Minor Declaration form.
  • Make an appointment with Alexandra Brewer, interim Advising Specialist for the History Department. Do this by logging on to your MyUTK account and clicking the “GradesFirst” link found in the advising section of your home page. Once in the “GradesFirst” system, click the “Appointments for Advising or Other Academic Help” button and follow the prompts from there. You will need to have filled out the Major declaration form (above) prior to your meeting. An official transcript is not necessary.

Upon declaring your major, you will be assigned both a staff advisor and a faculty mentor within the department. Some students may wish to continue an existing mentoring relationship with their HIST 299 professor or another faculty member. The department will try to honor such requests.

Students may set up appointments with their history advisors via e-mail during fall and spring semesters, in order to discuss their program of study in history or be cleared for semester registration. Please note that only your faculty advisor (or on some occasions, another staff or faculty member within the History Department) can clear your advising hold once you declare the major.